• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Stuck in gear

Get a 4x2 to use as a lever, wedge it, and flick the starter. It worked for me.

Once I found out why the starter suddenly didn't do anything, of course. So, overdrive hanging half on, dash apart to access the little wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay wot decided at that moment to slide off the terminal... ... Finally.... Click, slide, phew.

Get a 4x2 to use as a lever, wedge it, and flick the starter. It worked for me.

Once I found out why the starter suddenly didn't do anything, of course. So, overdrive hanging half on, dash apart to access the little wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay wot decided at that moment to slide off the terminal... ... Finally.... Click, slide, phew.
Thanks @Big Sandy 👍 . Got it on this morning. Very tight fit going on but it was difficult to get off too . Light tap with rubber mallet on alternate sides whilst wiggling and it started to move on . Again lack of applying landy logic 🤣 I had expected it to just slide on easily but with 2 gears to mesh and a shaft into a bush (ooo errr 🤔) it’s gonna to be a lot of lining up .

Yeah that little wire is a pain , found that out when cleaning my starter connections and earth . Terminal fell off in my hand 😡

Distinct lack of fettling time yesterday - the boy starts school September so loads of admin , video meet your teacher etc yesterday and started to look at uniform costs 😱

But had a few hours today . I’m obviously a slow worker ( or just slow 🤣) as @Mike_Hammond said half a days work to finish 🤔 well I’ve had half a day and I’m no where near finishing but there is progress .

Clutch slave cylinder back on and clutch bled .awkward job but I find it easier to take pipe bracket off the side of the engine - gives more wiggle room to get the pipe back on. Bled using easibleed pressure bleeder and worked well again .

Transmission brake stripped and cleaned and adjuster regreased. Good job I did as adjuster was only held on with a couple of threads each side. Brake assembly back on and all bolted down . That fibre washer is a pain to get back on and lined up on the splines but I lined it up as best I could after putting the flange on and wound it in using the big washer and castellated nut . Output flange greased before I pushed it through the seal - thanks @Dalts2904

propshafts back on with new bolts and nuts . It’s hazardous doing the transmission brake nuts and diff bolts and nuts whilst holding a heavy lump above your head and trying to manoeuvre it to get access to the nuts but I got there with no injuries . I used a 1/4 inch drive extension bar and 1/4 inch drive 9/16 socket as funds are low so couldn’t afford a proper prop shaft tool but it worked well .

So handbrake and low / high lever (with new anti rattle clip 👍) tomorrow then I think 🤔 it’s put the seatbox back in . Decided I’m going to put transmission tunnel on top of floors so there’s easier access in the future .

Trepidation is rising for when I turn the key and select a gear . Quite nervous if I’m honest 🙏

Hurry up ;)

I'm not so sure about the trans tunnel above the floor thing. I looked at it but It's removing support from the end of what is quite a thin aluminium plate which when young boys (and some adults) are clambering around could deform. The floors aren't that hard to remove for how often you have to do it. Landrover did their way for a reason I'm sure.

Everything on a landy takes longer than it should it's the land rover way 😂
Distinct lack of fettling time yesterday - the boy starts school September so loads of admin , video meet your teacher etc yesterday and started to look at uniform costs 😱

But had a few hours today . I’m obviously a slow worker ( or just slow 🤣) as @Mike_Hammond said half a days work to finish 🤔 well I’ve had half a day and I’m no where near finishing but there is progress .

Clutch slave cylinder back on and clutch bled .awkward job but I find it easier to take pipe bracket off the side of the engine - gives more wiggle room to get the pipe back on. Bled using easibleed pressure bleeder and worked well again .

Transmission brake stripped and cleaned and adjuster regreased. Good job I did as adjuster was only held on with a couple of threads each side. Brake assembly back on and all bolted down . That fibre washer is a pain to get back on and lined up on the splines but I lined it up as best I could after putting the flange on and wound it in using the big washer and castellated nut . Output flange greased before I pushed it through the seal - thanks @Dalts2904

propshafts back on with new bolts and nuts . It’s hazardous doing the transmission brake nuts and diff bolts and nuts whilst holding a heavy lump above your head and trying to manoeuvre it to get access to the nuts but I got there with no injuries . I used a 1/4 inch drive extension bar and 1/4 inch drive 9/16 socket as funds are low so couldn’t afford a proper prop shaft tool but it worked well .

So handbrake and low / high lever (with new anti rattle clip 👍) tomorrow then I think 🤔 it’s put the seatbox back in . Decided I’m going to put transmission tunnel on top of floors so there’s easier access in the future .

Trepidation is rising for when I turn the key and select a gear . Quite nervous if I’m honest 🙏

There's a knack to that. 2nd day in, "my son/daughter lost their sweatshirt, is it in lost property?.....(riffle riffle riffle).... Oh, look, here it is!"

;)
We ended up volunteering to sort the lost property, it was such a mess. The PTA orgasise a 2nd hand uniform stall at teh fete, we got quite a lot from there but you never get boys trousers as they are always trashed, I seem to recal I was the same....

Aye, given the cost I'm always amazed how much was left in lost property.

Re the floors @Fulltimedad... Put them in place, but don't tempt fate by fixing them down until after you drive it. Think "all will be fine" and bet yo ass you'll be pulling them up again. Think "better just test it...." and it will be fine to spite you!

We ended up volunteering to sort the lost property, it was such a mess. The PTA orgasise a 2nd hand uniform stall at teh fete, we got quite a lot from there but you never get boys trousers as they are always trashed, I seem to recal I was the same....
I used to walk home from school across the mining slag land rather than the road . When I got home my mum would say “ have you walked across the mining land ?” No I’d say looking down at my clay caked shoes 🤣🤣🤣

A big day tomorrow then. From your meticulous approach to the whole strip down and rebuild, you shouldn't have any problems. However, don't get over-confident, they know what you are thinking...

Back
Top Bottom