• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Stuck in gear

Well done chap, it's a great feeling eh :D
That mental imagery of the parts all meshing together and propelling you along will stay with you now in whatever you drive (they're all basically similar), I know in my case it's slowed my shifts down, made me much less sloppy about gearchanges.
I'm also more conscious of gear choice, less inclined to shift early and load the gears heavily. But having an overdrive helps with that; with my set up (300tdi and LT76) there's a big jump in ratios between 3 and 4, the o/d's 3.5 gear makes for a smoother transition through the gears. It's rare that exiting a roundabout in 3rd leads to a shift straight into 4th :rolleyes:

Check the oil level in 500 miles, then again in 1500 miles and after that it's safe enough to judge if it needs topping up by how much it's lets out, enjoy the drive buddy, you've worked for it ! ;)

:D there seems to be a theme forming here....we've all got 'spare' gearboxes that need a rebuild !

In my case a Series 2 non synchro 1&2 box, so I didn't want those bits and the clutch mech is on the wrong side when it came to possibly using the whole thing.... I, bought it to use as spares for my box, hoping to be able to use the layshaft....nope, wrong in several respects :rolleyes:..... think I only used the 3>4 synchro out of it in the end. One of those moments when, miserable at having broken your Landie, you hit the button on ebay and win the auction at a bargain price and all at once a 'solution' is there. Only to later find it's not a solution, it's a load more faffing and not quite 'the thing', it's another lump under the tarpaulin of infinite possibility ! :eek:

Well done chap, it's a great feeling eh :D
That mental imagery of the parts all meshing together and propelling you along will stay with you now in whatever you drive (they're all basically similar), I know in my case it's slowed my shifts down, made me much less sloppy about gearchanges.
I'm also more conscious of gear choice, less inclined to shift early and load the gears heavily. But having an overdrive helps with that; with my set up (300tdi and LT76) there's a big jump in ratios between 3 and 4, the o/d's 3.5 gear makes for a smoother transition through the gears. It's rare that exiting a roundabout in 3rd leads to a shift straight into 4th :rolleyes:

Check the oil level in 500 miles, then again in 1500 miles and after that it's safe enough to judge if it needs topping up by how much it's lets out, enjoy the drive buddy, you've worked for it ! ;)
Thanks @freqmikey . I agree O/D 3rd is useful when I use it - need to get in the habit of using it more for 3rd.

You told me Iā€™d visualise those cogs and synchros and your so right šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Thank you for your advice and support . Now for some dry weather to get the tilt off šŸ˜„

:D there seems to be a theme forming here....we've all got 'spare' gearboxes that need a rebuild !

In my case a Series 2 non synchro 1&2 box, so I didn't want those bits and the clutch mech is on the wrong side when it came to possibly using the whole thing.... I, bought it to use as spares for my box, hoping to be able to use the layshaft....nope, wrong in several respects :rolleyes:..... think I only used the 3>4 synchro out of it in the end. One of those moments when, miserable at having broken your Landie, you hit the button on ebay and win the auction at a bargain price and all at once a 'solution' is there. Only to later find it's not a solution, it's a load more faffing and not quite 'the thing', it's another lump under the tarpaulin of infinite possibility ! :eek:
But a spare box when you win the next auction late at night and remember in the morning youā€™ve added a series 2 to your stable šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I swapped a S2a gearbox bellhousing with the bellhousing off a dead S3 gearbox, to swap the clutch release mechanisms. That worked well. It was an old box out of a Landy that had been lying in a field for several years, kept me moving until I put in the one I have now, which is fully rebuilt. That old 2a one is for a rebuild now, as and when funds allow. Or I might do the S3 D suffix one....

Just shows, a selection of parts is always useful, one way or another. The knackered cogs I welded together into a table lamp.

Finding all these gear box types most confusing, all these suffix B,C,D's any one gives us a idiots guide to them ,I've got a 81 SWB with a 3 bearing 2.25 petrol engine and 4 speed all synchro box .So if a wanted a spare what do I look for ? (Feeling left out ,you all seem to have spares !)

You can stick any series gearbox in with no modification, but the bellhousing is different on the non synchro boxes so you'd have to swap them over. The defender boxes need a fair bit of modification to fit.

The serial number is stamped into the gearbox or onto the transfer box in later ones and the internals may not match what the serial number says it is just to add to the confusion.

I'd still like to fit a proper non synchro one, for no other reason than the fact it gives me a huge amount of satisfaction double de-clutching. I have to do it anyway mind you. Invariably there is a walk-ist in the way on the wee twisty roads round the house, so when I blip the throttle to change down I always get filthy looks because they think I'm making some sort of point. Of only they knew, that's what the train horns are for!

Finding all these gear box types most confusing, all these suffix B,C,D's any one gives us a idiots guide to them ,I've got a 81 SWB with a 3 bearing 2.25 petrol engine and 4 speed all synchro box .So if a wanted a spare what do I look for ? (Feeling left out ,you all seem to have spares !)
Yep confusing . Thereā€™s also an added dimension that I was warned about via the forum that what suffix is stamped on the outside of the box does not necessarily mean thatā€™s what the contents are šŸ¤” and some parts are not interchangeable as I found out.

Cheers lads ,most helpful .Lilly is my only transport so being off road for repair can be a pain. BBOs long term plan is to have a rebuilt engine ,gear box ,ready if needed and a front axle to convert to disc brakes. And Freqmikey enjoy your holiday !!Em

Cheers lads ,most helpful .Lilly is my only transport so being off road for repair can be a pain. BBOs long term plan is to have a rebuilt engine ,gear box ,ready if needed and a front axle to convert to disc brakes. And Freqmikey enjoy your holiday !!Em

For yours you want an LT76 gearbox, any suffix will work but you can identify the full syncro Series 3 versions by the clutch slave position. It bolts on the passenger side on the S3 and sits horizontal. The older series 2 versions like mine (no syncro on 1st and 2nd gear) has it on the drivers side mounted vertically on the outside of the box on a bracket.

Having a spare is a guaranteed way not to need one :)

As an aside, whilst 'any box will fit' is true for a genuine S3, earlier chassis had differing strengthening webs on the front centre crossmember. Trying to use a LT76 on these results in fouling with the clutch slave set up.
What with a Land Rover's invariable 'parts bin' nature, it may be you (the collective you, not anyone in particular) have any old chassis and any old gearbox so it pays to look twice.

BBO seen a removable gear box cross member for sale ,is it possible to remove the fixed one with out stripping Lilly down ,know the " new" brackets will have to be wielded on but it would make gear box work alot easier ? Worth the effort ?

Back
Top Bottom