• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Defender today?

Fitted the front bar again and made some templates for the holes for the DRLs
I am thinking like in the second pic looks best

Attachments

• 20240329_152233.jpg
    20240329_152233.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240329_152023.jpg
    20240329_152023.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240329_151934.jpg
    20240329_151934.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 31
Big delivery from Exmoor Trim arrived yesterday. Arrived much earlier than expected. Front seats (look brilliant), carpet (likewise - hope it fits over the insulation properly) and gear/handbrake gaiters (wrong - should have bespoke stitching to match the seats and the rest of the trim going into the front cab - came with standard black stitching. Good quality but wrong finish - going back to Exmoor to be replaced).

Did the wiring side of a low coolant level alarm kit I got..
The pain is getting a wire through to the sensor in the engine compartment and then all you need is an ignition switched supply and an earth.. Still a pain.. It all works on a dry run.. Just hoping it does the same when the sensor side is installed in a top hose🤞
It takes about 20secinds to alarm once the sensor switch is actuated and there is a flashing led as well.. Avoid false alarms I expect if you get a bit air travelling through the pipe..
20240329_151256.jpg
20240329_151422.jpg
20240329_151457.jpg

I drained enough coolant to take a top hose off and fit the sensor.. Its filled again and is working.. No alarm once filled..
The only little concern I have is I've installed it in a hose that is short and has a 90deg bend.. But it is the highest point..
It's just if there is any air or turbulence in that section I may get it alarming.. Judgement call but I'll see how it goes..
And while it was drained I've fitted an alloy expansion tank😊
The only thing now is where to place the flashing led so it easily seen.. I suspect if I haven't me hearing aids in I'll nor pick up on the audible alarm😩
20240330_113212.jpg

20240330_113218.jpg

Well.. Took it for a drive and all was going well.. 2 to 3 miles and then the thing started to alarm.. Checked torque and the temp was lowish.. Still in the 50 deg bracket which didn't seem right..
Pulled in and as soon as I got to the front it was obvious I had a problem.. Coolant all over😳😩.. Lifted the bonnet and the hose I installed the sensor on had come away at one end cause I hadn't tightened the clip... Well I had but took it off again to install a rubber rubbing ring on the hose and then forgot..
No tools but fortunately a large bottle water in the back.. Got the clip tight enough using a little tag on me keyring.. Its shagged now😩.. But I'm home..
What a dozey twat... But hey me coolant level alarm works🙈🤣🤣

Well.. Took it for a drive and all was going well.. 2 to 3 miles and then the thing started to alarm.. Checked torque and the temp was lowish.. Still in the 50 deg bracket which didn't seem right..
Pulled in and as soon as I got to the front it was obvious I had a problem.. Coolant all over😳😩.. Lifted the bonnet and the hose I installed the sensor on had come away at one end cause I hadn't tightened the clip... Well I had but took it off again to install a rubber rubbing ring on the hose and then forgot..
No tools but fortunately a large bottle water in the back.. Got the clip tight enough using a little tag on me keyring.. Its shagged now😩.. But I'm home..
What a dozey twat... But hey me coolant level alarm works🙈🤣🤣
Good proof of the new kit though . That hose leak even with all clips tightened up could have happened at any time .

Good proof of the new kit though . That hose leak even with all clips tightened up could have happened at any time .
Yep.. I had intended to test it when it had cooled down by pulling a small hose on the bottom of me radiator.. It does say in the blurb that comes with it that it should be checked now and again..
I'll be keeping an eye on it for a while but if it is reliable in the long term it's a good investment👍

Fitted a new bearmach door seal to the 90. Only tool involved was a rubber mallet.
What fker of a job though. Easy on the straight runs and corners but absolute c*** trying to get it to follow the sharp little curve at the door top level. The door restraining tie seems designed to chew through the seal as well.
Ah well see if that helps keep the drivers footwell dry or drier….
While fiddling i noticed there is no rubber bung in what i assume is the unused LHD steering column hole in the bulkhead.
Only thing stopping mud and water coming in is the bottom of the passenger mat…..surely that cant be right….

While fiddling i noticed there is no rubber bung in what i assume is the unused LHD steering column hole in the bulkhead.
Snap.
My bungs on the LHS were missing too. Footwell & floor soaked under the rubber matting. Some rot and a couple of small rust holes I poked through while checking the extent of the damage. Part replaced/Part rust removal and welded. Guy before me had hidden it by popping a plastic plate down over the top before fitting the rubber mat. Shame he didn't make the effort to stop water ingress rather than hiding it and ignoring the problem.
Hope your footwell isn't too bad and you can simply replace the missing bung. It took me quite a while to sort this out.
Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 22.08.03.png

Made a start on the lower brackets for the winch bar, they will replace the tie-down eyes as well as extra mounting for the bar.
Did a bit of shopping again, ordered Konig snow chains and an awning for the other side with an awning tent to go with it, so when I am camping can leave the tent setup and still use the awning on the other side.
I think I have decided to do a couple of modifications to the roof rack, I weld on more mountings for the awnings and cut out the middle bars where they overlap the cross bars and cut them to fit in between and weld them in between so the rack is flat instead of the humps it currently has. It is a Terra-firma copy of the G4 rack, I am not sure if the genuine rack is like that or just these ones. It wasn't cheap, and the powder coating popped with a bang after about 18 months, I wondered what the bang was at first then noticed all the coating flapping in the wind. Then it will be sandblasted and galvanized before powdercoating again.
I also need to make a rear ladder and mounts for the hi lift and waffle boards.

Made a start on the lower brackets for the winch bar, they will replace the tie-down eyes as well as extra mounting for the bar.
Did a bit of shopping again, ordered Konig snow chains and an awning for the other side with an awning tent to go with it, so when I am camping can leave the tent setup and still use the awning on the other side.
I think I have decided to do a couple of modifications to the roof rack, I weld on more mountings for the awnings and cut out the middle bars where they overlap the cross bars and cut them to fit in between and weld them in between so the rack is flat instead of the humps it currently has. It is a Terra-firma copy of the G4 rack, I am not sure if the genuine rack is like that or just these ones. It wasn't cheap, and the powder coating popped with a bang after about 18 months, I wondered what the bang was at first then noticed all the coating flapping in the wind. Then it will be sandblasted and galvanized before powdercoating again.
I also need to make a rear ladder and mounts for the hi lift and waffle boards.
I tried to follow the roof rack mods but lost me way🤣..
Remember a picture paints a thousand words👍😅

If it wasn't dark outside...
On this roofrack instead of notching the tubes where they intersect they have just squashed them and bridged the cross tubes, which leaves humps where each intersects rather than a flat rack. So I intend to cut them and fit them in between instead, as they should be. It will also make it stronger.

Weight has been on my mind since a winch and bumper were installed, because they were heavy items
I checked me log book and the gross weight is 3050kg...it gives a mass in service of 2050kg..so technically a 1000kg payload..
The vehicle plate shows a train of 6550kg
A front axle max of1250kg
A rear axle max of 1980kg..

Weigh bridge shows my current weight
With me and half a tank of fuel... Most of my off road gear on board as 2560kg...so
About 490kg to spare..
But my front axle at1180kg only has about 70kg to go... So with another passenger and another battery under the seat I'd be a tad over on the front I suspect.
The rear axle weight is 1380kg so there is a fair bit to go on that one..
It's done anyway.. And I have an idea of where I am👍

Back
Top Bottom