• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What did you do to your Disco today?

Fitted a new fan belt ….state of old one makes me wonder what a ‘service history’ value actually is
IMG_3461.jpeg

Today’s job was to pop a door inner cover off and see how differrent the highline speaker connections etc are to the harmon kardon ones.
Size wise they seem to be interchangeable….nice…cable connections however are different
The rear door tweeters connection looks interchangeable but isnt. The lower bass speaker has entirely different connections.
Fortunately i have the tails. Seller omitted to mention that one of the speakers was just a std midline one (grr) so that was another £15 to round out the set.

Today’s tweaks were to fit the HK speakers replacing the previous highline philips ones.
They physcially are the same dimensions but the hk ones feel and look nicer quality. Will see if i can hear any difference lol.
The a post tweeters are a fiddle as the connectors are different.
The front and rear door mid speakers can be connected by just reconfiguring the pins in the std connector.
The low/bass speakers in the front n rear doors need a patch lead made using male iso pins to connect to the stub of the Hk leads. Make sure you get the polarity right!
Next job is to refoam the speaker cones and fit the HK back door ‘sub woofer’ unit.
Fairly straight forward job so far.
Philps screwdriver, door trim pry bar, torx 10 and 15 plus a tiny screwdriver to help with resetting connector pins on the mids.
Anyone need a set of nice condition highline speakers?

I'm so over D2 ownership. The saga continues with water ingress, and now it's not starting again. Looks like there's a short somewhere that's discharged the battery. No doubt after charging, I'll find it still won't start. I need to trace the wiring for faults and pin down where the problem is - probably another blown IDM knowing my luck. Both footwells are absolutely sopping. All I can say is, It's a good job Land Rover don't make boats!

I don't have time for this, I want to get on with my Stage One restoration and the bl**dy D2 keeps getting in the way.

Traced the no crank problem today, seems the 30A link (F12) and the relay were both blown. After a bit of jiggery pokery, I managed to confirm this and that it was "currently" safe to replace them. All seems hunky dory again for the moment. However, no idea what caused them to blow and scratching me head wondering where on earth to even start looking. The obvious is a short somewhere due to the biblical levels of water ingress that's occurred recently. Another reliability issue for me to fret and worry about!

Had a panic today, started the D4 up this morning and left it running while I opened the gates. Came back to the car to hear a horrible rattle coming for the underside, somewhere near the front :eek: . The 'rattle' sound was intermittent and sounded like a bearing knocking :eek:
I started trying to locate the exact point of the sound and discovered the plastic under tray has a light metal/alloy heat shield inside it. The metal was pushed up and making contact with the exhaust pipe creating the rattle. Phewww.....I must have pressed the plastic tray when going over some rough ground, the plastic tray returned to it's normal shape and distance from the exhaust pipe, but the metal heat shield didn't and was making intermittent contact with the exhaust pipe. ...Panic over🫣

Its Saturday which seems to be turning into ‘fix landrover day’
Todays job was to sort the fluttering drivers wing mirror glass (done) takes a surprisingly high amount of pressure on the glass mirror to seat the new one correctly. DONT just use your fingers or chances are a new mirror glass will be needed lol. Something about 2-2.5” in diameter with a soft covering is ideal for an even pressure.
Other job was replacing the worn plastic surfaced cubby lid with a brand new leather one in the correct ( pretty horrible tundra turd greenish) with a nos item i got from ebay for the huge sum of £1…… Probably looks fine in a green car but urgh its vaguely offensive. Original owner mightve been colour taste challenged i guess.
Last job was to aquire and fit a scrivet for the drivers side scuttle.
Picked up the necessary bolts to secure the new non ace arbs….that will be the next job.
Rear door handle was sticking but some wd40 soon fixed that.

Time for coffee

Its ‘fix it Saturday’ so today was fit new anti roll bar on the rear day.
Arb obtained 2nd hand from fleabay in as new condition
Beware …there are two sizes of passive arb 19mm and 30mm…larger size for non ace air suspension….
New arb rubbers and brackets….beware shytepart brackets almost fit…but not quite…
Irritating with a heavy bar waving above your head knocking rust into your eyes…( note to self re eye protection when under 20 year old crusty cars)

Took it for a good couple hundred mile run up some twisty roads and motorway.
Handling is improved. It was surprisingly ok with no arb at rear and non working ace on the front.
Better now though…flatter through 70mph sweeping bends so successful I think.
Front one to install and replace the scrap ace front arb will be next…..after fitting my new interior.

Back
Top Bottom