• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Engine died- crank shaft fault

I like the way you put that very good ..I can’t see all these problems with the engines doing JLR any favours ..they should just replace the engine and then you have a fairly happy customer…those that don’t have any luck will not buy the brand again that’s for certain ..

glad u liked it, lol

indeed u would have thought so wouldn’t u, plus there customer service at my local dealer is appalling , another reason I won’t go there anymore, along with charging £160 plus vat just to plug it in and £185 plus vat per hour labour

feel very lucky having the gap iid along with my parents treating me to an Autel MX808 scanner so at least I can get all the fault codes myself without having to rely in a garage , one thing I’ve learnt since owning the D3 has been expanding my tool kit

Plus can never have to many tools, lol, well that’s my excuse

I have a 2018 RR Velar owned since new and full service history. Last service was April 2022. Yesterday I was on the M25 when without warning a “critically low oil” warning triangle light appeared on the dashboard. There was no low oil warning beforehand. Then a message saying something like the car was operating under restrictions. It then started losing power and I pulled onto hard shoulder and all the warning lights came on. It never started again.

I had the car recovered to my home as LR Hatfield garage want £295 just to look at it. I have since called 5 different garages and all have told me the same thing. Sounds like the engine has seized, a common occurance with the Velar. My car is out of warranty and the estimate is £10k for new engine and £3k to fit. I am amazed a car costing £60k has an expected life of just 4 years. I have been advised to sell for spares or repair. I won’t buy another LR.
Hi Anheuser, i have the exact same problem same year and vehicle. Did you manage to find a resolution?

i would get some one to rip the engine out ..strip it and send it off to some one like Park engineering in malton.. regrind crank new rings new version off the oil pump. etc ... throw the servicing interval book in the bin ..change oil every six months ..use different oil than the book says... a thicker oil.. i would say the oil now being used is to thin.... surely rebuilding the engine can not cost 14k .. and at least you know the engine as compared to some of the fly by nights who remove an engine from a scrap car .. or even worse steal a vehicle and strip it for parts to sell as second hand.. ( bas..ds_) clean it and sell it as a recon unit .... recon no.. conned yes.. but as long as it lasts the warranty ...as for LR they have done their part the vehicle lasted the warranty .. but i would still try and get them to.. come to an agreement towards a cost for an engine.. it has been serviced by them through its life.. the milage is low.. the inherent design faults in the engine and servicing intervals..wrong oil spec... show them the video.. from the thread .. i suspect LR already know about the video but your local dealer might not ..or will not admit it to you.. and scream loudly.. but politely to LR head office ....

so why 14k .. is that for a new /recon engine..???

hiya

funny enough heard those figures being quoted for JLR to supply and fit a new engine

but indeed good call with regards to rebuilding one and agree with regards to so called experts out there

I used turner engineering for when I had my series engine redone , had the head skimmed, new valves etc , new short block and I put it all together as I wanted to learn, did have my pops help me set up the distributor as wasn’t 100% sure ref the TDC markings etc , was a petrol for my series 3 safari

indeed would be so nice if JLR came out and said this is what u need to do to reduce or prevent the engines from hand grenading

know if I had the money would get the D4 with the 5.0 non supercharged engine but see even those have issues , timing chain tensioners , water pumps along with some water casing on top of the engine , dont know if that’s for the supercharged engine though

so why 14k .. is that for a new /recon engine..???
Hi madmechanic,

Thats for a new engine direct from Land Rover. I had it recovered there as i had 3rd party warranty. Turns out my loo roll has more value! My warranty company have asked me to cover the cost of the sump removal. The cost of that alone is £1200!

i would get some one to rip the engine out ..strip it and send it off to some one like Park engineering in malton.. regrind crank new rings new version off the oil pump. etc ... throw the servicing interval book in the bin ..change oil every six months ..use different oil than the book says... a thicker oil.. i would say the oil now being used is to thin.... surely rebuilding the engine can not cost 14k .. and at least you know the engine as compared to some of the fly by nights who remove an engine from a scrap car .. or even worse steal a vehicle and strip it for parts to sell as second hand.. ( bas..ds_) clean it and sell it as a recon unit .... recon no.. conned yes.. but as long as it lasts the warranty ...as for LR they have done their part the vehicle lasted the warranty .. but i would still try and get them to.. come to an agreement towards a cost for an engine.. it has been serviced by them through its life.. the milage is low.. the inherent design faults in the engine and servicing intervals..wrong oil spec... show them the video.. from the thread .. i suspect LR already know about the video but your local dealer might not ..or will not admit it to you.. and scream loudly.. but politely to LR head office ....
Ive tried looking through the thread but im not sure which video you mean?

Hi madmechanic,

Thats for a new engine direct from Land Rover. I had it recovered there as i had 3rd party warranty. Turns out my loo roll has more value! My warranty company have asked me to cover the cost of the sump removal. The cost of that alone is £1200!
your third party warranty was never worth having .. they have always covered their arse some how and left you with the bill...... but what does your dealer or LR head office say about it..??? .. nearly 10% of the value of a new engine just to take the sump off.. and to tell you what they already know... the engine is screwed...and how do they know.. well it is a recognised fault... therefore it is either a design fault or a servicing fault... but i say both.. what mileage do you have on it...?? how long after the LR warranty was out.. did it fail??? has it been serviced on time by a LR dealer..and not some garage that uses LR parts but is not a dealer of LR... i do not agree that the servicing of a vehicle other than by a main dealer ..does not effect your warranty .. i think during the warranty period it should only be serviced bt the main dealer ..what you do after the warranty is out is your choice...

your third party warranty was never worth having .. they have always covered their arse some how and left you with the bill...... but what does your dealer or LR head office say about it..??? .. nearly 10% of the value of a new engine just to take the sump off.. and to tell you what they already know... the engine is screwed...and how do they know.. well it is a recognised fault... therefore it is either a design fault or a servicing fault... but i say both.. what mileage do you have on it...?? how long after the LR warranty was out.. did it fail??? has it been serviced on time by a LR dealer..and not some garage that uses LR parts but is not a dealer of LR... i do not agree that the servicing of a vehicle other than by a main dealer ..does not effect your warranty .. i think during the warranty period it should only be serviced bt the main dealer ..what you do after the warranty is out is your choice...
Im beginning to realise! It was the most amazing warranty on earth when i was sold it! It was registered may 2018 and has been serviced on time at Land Rover every time. The engine seized in feb

if you look at the thread it is the second video ... ammunition is vital when going for a fight ... and knowledge is a good tool to use ..so it did its 5yr warranty ... but how many weeks after the warranty finished did the engine fail??
It isnt 5 year old yet. Land Rover are saying it isnt under manufacturers warranty though?

look up Land Rover SD4 Engine Failure group on face book. if you scroll down to march 23rd there is a legal firm starting a class action. no win no fee

I approached dealer who said they will talk to head office about a contribution, i bought from landrover dealer on their used approved site, serviced at main dealer on time, and have had 2 other range rovers from new before, head office have offered 90% contribution but hat still leaves me with £2k bill when they finally get the parts to put an engine and turbo in it. by paying they say i will get a warranty on the parts for 2 yrs. and it is not transferable if i sell it. they have just provided a hire car till it is fixed which could be weeks!
feels like they are being helpful but i am still paying 2k for some thing they should admit is a manufacturing fault.

Back
Top Bottom