• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What grinds YOUR gears??

Years ago I cleared out the local Wickes of all their compression fittings - just about running out so bought some from Screwfix in the week for the downstairs loo and eventually when I get round to plumbing the kitchen over the flat.

Compression fittings all leaked passed the threads - the olive is nipped nicely but was still weeping. Undid it all PTFE tape and job jobbed. Screwyouoverfix with cheapo chineasium fittings every one has had an issue.
Even when we are willing to pay extra to get quality it just isn't available. The story is that the consumer demands the lowest price so the suppliers have offer the cheap stuff, but it's also true that the suppliers cant help themselves but to offer the cheap junk to increase their profits. It's a lose/lose situation for the lowly consumer these days.

Years ago I cleared out the local Wickes of all their compression fittings - just about running out so bought some from Screwfix in the week for the downstairs loo and eventually when I get round to plumbing the kitchen over the flat.

Compression fittings all leaked passed the threads - the olive is nipped nicely but was still weeping. Undid it all PTFE tape and job jobbed. Screwyouoverfix with cheapo chineasium fittings every one has had an issue.
I recently had to replace my kitchen mixer tap. I ordered one up from Victorian Plumbing; big mistake! I ordered a pair of isolation valves to go with it as there were none on the existing installation. I fitted these, yet with water turned off and just whatever was still in the pipes, with just gravity providing any pressure, both valves leaked. They were both turned off yet water was able to drip past and soak the kitchen floor while I fitted the tap. Chinese crap! The tap's a disappointment too as the tails and internal pipe are so skinny it has low slow flow rate even though the mains pressure is quite high. Deeply unimpressed. Lesson learned though, don't buy from these on-line firms if you want quality as they all sell junk.

i use our local plumbing merchants their attitude is we dont sell crap which is good as they say it comes back to haunt them i dont find them anymore expensive than the big sheds especially when bits fail and you have to repair things or go back to jobs, people seem to get big shed blindness and think things are good and cheap from them they sell stuff like showers with no names on them then when they start to leak/fail you cant get any replacement parts when people say oh my shower/tap is leaking can you fix it and i ask what make is it and they say theres no name my standard answer is would you but a car with no name on it :D i like to keep it local if i can as if you dont there wont be any local firms and when you just need a certain part now youve got to order it and wait for delivery, its also handy keeping it local so if it goes wrong youve got a point of call and someone to shout at if it goes really wrong :p

I recently had to replace my kitchen mixer tap. I ordered one up from Victorian Plumbing; big mistake! I ordered a pair of isolation valves to go with it as there were none on the existing installation. I fitted these, yet with water turned off and just whatever was still in the pipes, with just gravity providing any pressure, both valves leaked. They were both turned off yet water was able to drip past and soak the kitchen floor while I fitted the tap. Chinese crap! The tap's a disappointment too as the tails and internal pipe are so skinny it has low slow flow rate even though the mains pressure is quite high. Deeply unimpressed. Lesson learned though, don't buy from these on-line firms if you want quality as they all sell junk.

That is the problem with the modern business model. If we make a product that will last we won't sell very many of them or make as much PROFIT as we will if we sell rubbish. Then you factor in the outrageous profiteering that goes on in UK and you end up paying a small fortune for junk.
Example? I was looking for a camera, no I mean a camera not a 'phone, the model which I thought about buying was priced at £2000 in UK. Same make, model colour in USA? $300 the exchange rate at the time made that about £180.
On the subject of my pet hate (mobile 'phones) very occasionally a friend calls me, from his mobile to my partner's mobile. Typically we chat for a couple of hours with most of the call quality being varying degrees of unintelligible and the call being dropped numerous times. Usually we end up abandoning the mobile call and using the land line. Sort of depends where he is calling from when he makes the call.
In my, limited, experience they (mobile 'phones) are no better at their eponymous function now than they were 25 years ago and they were fecking useless then. Which is yet another reason why I won't have one

That is the problem with the modern business model. If we make a product that will last we won't sell very many of them or make as much PROFIT as we will if we sell rubbish. Then you factor in the outrageous profiteering that goes on in UK and you end up paying a small fortune for junk.
Example? I was looking for a camera, no I mean a camera not a 'phone, the model which I thought about buying was priced at £2000 in UK. Same make, model colour in USA? $300 the exchange rate at the time made that about £180.
On the subject of my pet hate (mobile 'phones) very occasionally a friend calls me, from his mobile to my partner's mobile. Typically we chat for a couple of hours with most of the call quality being varying degrees of unintelligible and the call being dropped numerous times. Usually we end up abandoning the mobile call and using the land line. Sort of depends where he is calling from when he makes the call.
In my, limited, experience they (mobile 'phones) are no better at their eponymous function now than they were 25 years ago and they were fecking useless then. Which is yet another reason why I won't have one
Mobile phones are not for making calls on, they are for taking pictures of your lunch to post on facebook.

No, I believe they (mobile phones) are actually worse at their eponymous function than they were 25 years ago. David

I almost never make calls on the mobile any more, but when I do I use Whatsapp or Messenger etc to make a wifi/data call.
Always better quality and more reliable than the 3/4G network.
No use when you dont have wifi/data available I admit, but then how urgent are most calls...

I turn off the internet on my phone, when I'm not physically using it. It eats the battery plus gets annoying,ping ping all the time. Sometimes get multiple messages,wondering why I didn't respond to their 1st 🤣

I used to have the old Nokia slide phones, had three of them, just simple to make calls and send texts but they stopped making simple small phones so the "smart" phone I have now is really fiddly to make calls, got to press about five buttons to start a call and three to end it.
Have to admit it is handy when away somewhere I can just look something up on the internet.

Not sure when I put George cross flag on that black thing comes up , wierd or what
That's my point. Somebody at the software provider thinks it's clever to have the English flag convert to a black one; Somebody who thinks the English flag is a racist far right one; Somebody who thinks USA imported ideas about racism being only a black and white issue. Whatever the misguided thinking behind it, it's unacceptable to have the forum software interfering in this political way and insulting our country and offending English people - many who happen to be non white!
If it's possible to trace back to whoever is responsible at XenForo, then they should be taken to task!

Back
Top Bottom