• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Passenger foot well leak

If you stop the water running from the outside down the bulkhead I think you will find a lot of drips in the cab stop.
If you do what I did except maybe a bit tidier it can only be a good thing.
BTW your heater matrix is full of radiator water from the cooling system. Air con is a different thing.
ok so i will do the seal around the bonnet as you say it can only help. With the heater matrix what is the best diagnosis that confirms thats the issuue

yeah i mean i dont have air con in the car so i dont think it can be the heater matrix as the heater in the car wont use liquid i dont think. it must be rain water from outside but i cant tell where its getting in from. How do i get to this sponge gasket does the car need to be in the air?
No fella, if you lift the bonnet it's the odd shaped box top RHS as you look at the engine with a couple of pipes coming out of it, well it is on all the ones I've had, I've not had one as new as yours so they might have changed it but I doubt it, it is a fanny off a job but I think one of the necessary ones your going to have to do along with everything else, I'd start with landycampers hinge theory and Stans suggestions aswell first, then holes in the bulkhead and then if you've still got it try the heater box after, I think everyone on here would agree start with the easier ones first, but get that carpet out before it does anymore damage

No fella, if you lift the bonnet it's the odd shaped box top RHS as you look at the engine with a couple of pipes coming out of it, well it is on all the ones I've had, I've not had one as new as yours so they might have changed it but I doubt it, it is a fanny off a job but I think one of the necessary ones your going to have to do along with everything else, I'd start with landycampers hinge theory and Stans suggestions aswell first, then holes in the bulkhead and then if you've still got it try the heater box after, I think everyone on here would agree start with the easier ones first, but get that carpet out before it does anymore damage
brilliant will do

This is what I did with mine on both sides.
Had a drip from the brake pedal and because of the way the wing meets the windscreen gutter water can run straight into the engine bay down the bulkhead.
It's just a couple of plastic straps held on with mastic and painted body colour.
Been on for several years and have had a nearly dry footwell ever since....
View attachment 444353
Stan can you explain what you did here please I don’t understand your post ..it could help me .thanks mate .
Its just not sinking in I’m reading and nothing 🙄

I will 2nd the hinge for water ingress I need to do mine I have bought a sheet of rubber to make my gaskets but not got around to it yet .its on the list to do ..
Be surprised where it can come in .the smallest of holes ,would the roof gutters on those be open at the end so the water can run down the screen edge .

with this heater matrix seal replacement would that be letting rain water get into the foot well or would it just be coolant getting in?

Yes it would, I think the coolant suggestion was just giving you another option of what if could be, like all the suggestions people have given you, if the water on the floor tastes sweet it's coolant, if it doesn't its rainwater but you still will want to change it if all the other options fail

Try a smear of silicone around the joint of that heater housing gasket. Any gaps in that will let quite a bit of water in but also ruins heater efficiency - one of the most common complaints about Defenders. Unfortunately, you may have to remove the heater to do it properly anyway, so a new foam gasket would be the way forward .
There are vids on u tube on how to remove this .

I need to remove my heater box,it's only got 1 speed off or fast. Didn't happen this year, because of my hernia. After my op I had the time to do it,but it started raining nearly every day 😕
There's always next year,it's only around the corner.

Mine does the same fella, on mine it's the cables on the switch end aren't adjusted properly, it works and gets hot to be fair, but it looks to me like one of those jobs you might end up having to get the missus involved and that just means arguments my end

Stan can you explain what you did here please I don’t understand your post ..it could help me .thanks mate .
Its just not sinking in I’m reading and nothing 🙄
It's basically a strip of plastic stuck to the wing where it meets the gutter under the windscreen. It directs the run off away from the body so it doesn't run back to the engine bay and so down the bulkhead and into any gaps into the cab. Without it water ran straight down the bulkhead and pooled on the brake pedal box and then drips onto the footwell.
Not a high tech solution but worked very well for me.

It's basically a strip of plastic stuck to the wing where it meets the gutter under the windscreen. It directs the run off away from the body so it doesn't run back to the engine bay and so down the bulkhead and into any gaps into the cab. Without it water ran straight down the bulkhead and pooled on the brake pedal box and then drips onto the footwell.
Not a high tech solution but worked very well for me.
Thankyou .if not to much of a problem can you take another picture for me .i can’t quite get my head around the pic ..
Thanks mate .

Back
Top Bottom