• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Dirtyberties engine thread

I totally agree with you Cliff regarding the optimum way forward, but remember that this was all going on during total lockdown, so at the time there was no other option. I think everybody knew it was a bit of a mission impossible, but everybody's determination kept it moving forward.

It would be great for Jo to be involved in the engine rebuild, but how realistic logistically that is, is the question. I suspect we might have to end up delivering all the parts to an engine builder that can build it up and take care of any machining that needs to be done.

Jo would definitely be involved in getting the engine back in Berty, and getting him running again, so I think she will have gained some amazing experience and knowledge to keep Berty tip top in the future.

Well thanks all for such goodness , care and consideration ... Too be fair with the putting my beloved back together , i,m happy too step back and leave it too the berty,s fan club .. i don,t think me doing it with the crew there would be the best idea , it would be a slow prosses with me as i would be a bag of nerves , panicking in case i go wrong ,.:oopsy:.. I think as Dave Cook said . the knoledge i have gained will be used too keep our brother Berty in full mechanical working order , with pride and love ...;)..... I will do anything that is asked of me thou . ... well had a rather exhausting morning , i,m mentally and emotionaly draind atthe moment .. full respect and love too you all

JO AND BERTY X

I don't think we should be taking over the job, but rather providing the maximum assistance feasible so that in the end, it is still Jo's achievement.
I agree and I'm certain there'll be plenty of opportunity for Jo to get her hands dirty as the strip-down and rebuild occurs, no worries there. She'll need to have a good understanding of how it all went together so that she can maintain it for the future too !

The block in there is essentially scrap, we may as well just dump that out where it is and ship the replacement engine to the vehicle ...
As I understand it we have @Christoffler's block and crank available to us .. It'd need new bearings (?) and perhaps the block honing,, new piston rings too ??...... or there's potentially @Edlandy with a whole engine ? ...
If we can get the bottom half as good as it gets, wherever it is now, and then move it to Berty we can then build the top half onsite and have the additional parts that'll crop up delivered to Jo's ? .
As much as I'd like to do the complete job over the course of a weekend I think realistically and logistically it'll be a couple of sessions before it's ready for an Mot :cool:

I agree and I'm certain there'll be plenty of opportunity for Jo to get her hands dirty as the strip-down and rebuild occurs, no worries there. She'll need to have a good understanding of how it all went together so that she can maintain it for the future too !

The block in there is essentially scrap, we may as well just dump that out where it is and ship the replacement engine to the vehicle ...
As I understand it we have @Christoffler's block and crank available to us .. It'd need new bearings (?) and perhaps the block honing,, new piston rings too ??...... or there's potentially @Edlandy with a whole engine ? ...
If we can get the bottom half as good as it gets, wherever it is now, and then move it to Berty we can then build the top half onsite and have the additional parts that'll crop up delivered to Jo's ? .
As much as I'd like to do the complete job over the course of a weekend I think realistically and logistically it'll be a couple of sessions before it's ready for an Mot :cool:
It doesn't "need" an MOT ;)

Think that is all pretty sensible, and to me the best way forward.

Think any guidance on what Jo can do just now would be good, as she can tinker away at things to make it easier for the swap of the block etc when others turn up.

Think it was mentioned, remove the rad and front panel, Mikey, do you think it is a good idea to remove the wings as well, based on what you saw and how Berty is located in the garden. Also bearing in mind it will most likely be more than one person involved as well...

Anything else need disconnecting. Would assume the engine mounts best left till ready to take out.

It doesn't "need" an MOT

:) Strictly speaking it doesn't 'need' it legally. However the completed and driveable Landy will be a representative of the forum. Jo is happy to advertise us through at least some stickers and there may be other way's we can use the story of the rebuild and Berty's return to the roads. I think its worth us getting an Mot on it to show that we're a responsible group and that we've done the work to the required standard.

Beside that, it's been off the road for a while and is subject to major work, the insurance company will possibly want some sort of confirmation that the work has been done properly.
It just seems to make it an altogether better achievement for us if we do take Berty to Mot standard.
We may have a qualified Mot tester onboard (?) who can perhaps help/advise us with that ? ... I'm used to working to at least Mot standard and have a good understanding of the regs but I don't have a testers certificate ;)

As I understand it we have @Christoffler's block and crank available to us .. It'd need new bearings (?) and perhaps the block honing,, new piston rings too

as far as the block goes. i can take a scrubber to the bores and see if they have gotten pitted/ledged if that would help? i can put the conrods with it, they took a beating knocking two of the pistons out though. i was using a wooden block as a drift so they may well be fine, they are in pretty much the same state as the crank. pistons are dead, one got dinged as it popped out and another went scudding across the drive. i should have set up a catch but i was exhausted at that point. i wouldnt re-use the bearings, they fared better than i expected but not worth it in my opinion.

as for berty, definitely crack on with the brakes. they can be a pig if your unlucky and it can only be good to have got them in order ahead of time. dont forget the handbrake too, it would be depressing to have a failure and mangle the gearbox at the last hurdle. not that i have ever made that mistake :rolleyes: .
also are the swivels and halfshaft UJ's sound? hard to tell without a drive but they can suffer if its sat for a long time. same for the steering ball joints.
i think if the engine is to be done off site then the wings should be fine left in situ. get the floor and gearbox tunnel clear and the removal should be pretty straightforward. wouldnt hurt to crack the relevant nuts and bolts to smooth things along.
i agree the MOT is worth it, even if its just for the getting it back on the road. its definitely all good then. it may also show up something that got missed.

Back
Top Bottom